This was an interesting week with 4 month old twins and a three year old. On Monday, I completely threw my back out. I tweaked it by reaching for one of the babies in the night and lifting them out of their bed using, you guessed it, only my back and arms. This, my friends, is why they say, “lift from the legs.” This is your little lesson for the day. Lift from the legs, especially if you have kids. Free advice, there ya go.
Anyway, after trying to push through the little tweak by moving everyone into the car to make a pediatrician appointment, I completely destroyed it. Long story short, got stuck at the pediatricians debilitated in a seat with two screaming twins receiving their 4 month shots, calling emergency back up (my father in law, thank goodness he was around) and somehow with his help getting everyone home and onto the couch. Where I stayed (and still am) as I write this.
I cant lie, everyone, even the The Twins are getting a little stir crazy. (I didn’t realize babies went stir crazy.)
|They look happy right now but give them 5 minutes…|
I usually keep very, very busy. No one is used to just hanging around. Big Sis has pulled out every single disk from my Friends, Sex & The City and OC box set. I’m glad she did because (a) I was looking for another project to do once I could move…
I mean the house has never looked this bad since we moved in and the laundry ‘bed’ has never been piled so high. But seriously, pretty excited about cleaning and organizing 6,000 disks. But I digress.
and (b) I forgot that I owned the OC box set and didn’t realize that I wanted to watch it. So here we are watching the OC series from disc one.
Perfect. Thanks Big Sis. You just keep on entertaining yourself.
Having my derrier attached to the couch, I have been able to catch up on a few things that have needed to get done but I never want to sit down and do. So, I wanted to share with those that find themselves on bedrest, sick… whatevs, home with no option of being able to anything, some ideas of entertainment. Or mindless things that will get your through a long day of stillness.
I mean Facebook can only entertain for so long. 2 minutes tops until you are sick of seeing your friends enjoying cocktail hour, dining out, being stuck in traffic, excited for ‘hump day’, on vacation rubbing it in all of our faces…
Oh, wait, I haven’t updated my profile pic in awhile and I really want to annoy show my friends more pics of my cute kids, so… OK, maybe 20 minutes of fun on Facebook until you are sick of everyone and everyone is sick of you.
So lets talk bed rest activities!
1. Organize your one million photos that have been stored in your iCloud and iPhoto. Start deleting, cleaning and prepping to maybe print!
Confused as to where to start? Me too. iCloud? iPhoto? My iCloud automatically receives the photos I take on my iPhone and then they end up in the Photos folder in iPhoto. So I started there. I don’t feel it was the best place to start after the fact but it’s too late now. Does anyone know what I’m talking about and have suggestions? It’s like photo hell in here. No idea what I’m doing.
Anyway, what matters is that I cleaned out the last year of photos. Now they are uploaded and sitting on another photo site for when I have a thousand dollars to print these two thousand, plus photos. Next bed rest (hopefully, never, I can start cleaning out all the years prior to last.) : /
I miss cameras that I couldn’t make a phone call from and that hold film. It was just so uncomplicated then. You take a picture (not 10 of one scene), you hope for the best, finish up the roll and send it to the printer. Done. No nightmares of losing every last photo or your children having no albums to look at.
Can you imagine how this is going to go down when we are like 80 years old? “Come, lets sit around my ancient laptop and browse 18 hours worth of childhood photos. They are in this folder…” Or worse, on a flash drive that has gone missing. Doesn’t matter, by then, our phone will be the only computer or piece of technology we will need to own and it will be able to fly. Once a photo is taken it will shoot out of the flying phone and then a little photo bird will catch it and add it to the album you have been working on, in it’s correct order…
On second thought, don’t organize photos. Wait until the above scenario happens. Seems way easier.
2. Read the magazines that you haven’t gotten to since your first child was born. I would say read a book but that seems very committal and hopefully you will be off bed rest very very soon. And with diaper changes and three (or however many you have) hungry children, their can be a lot of interruptions.
3. Stalk your favorite blogs you have been neglecting. Mom blogs, food blogs, DIY blogs (nothing I make would ever look like what these talented people make… how do you do this?). Choose your poison! Browse 8 billion food blogs and drool at all the recipes you will never make. Make sure to Pin them so you can store them in another place you will never look back at.
4. Watch the girliest, trashiest, shows and or movies that you have been pretending you have no interest in when friends or your hubby are around. “I dont watch Real Housewives of Atlanta…” Pull up that reality show and enjoy it, guilt free. Maybe, make some popcorn (nachos, chocolate…) and enjoy all the vegging out. I mean, when will you really have an opportunity to do this again?
5. Sift through that favorite cookbook that you swore you would cook from, however, have yet to do so in the past 2 years. Dust that cover off and start choosing recipes. Harass your hubby when he gets home by telling him everything you will be eating for the next month. It shouldn’t cost too much to make that seafood stew that has 30 ingredients, right?
6. And lastly, enjoy the company you have surrounding you. Days, weeks, months continue to fly by so quickly as we all just try to keep up with the busy world around us. Enjoy this static time you have with some of the best company you can find. Kids, friends, your baby belly, dogs, cats, your favorite pillow. Whatever it is, embrace it, sit back and relax. You’ll be back in the trenches sooner than you realize!
Now, I wonder what my Facebook friends are up to…