The moment my Pinterest feed was flooded with an abundance of cauliflower based recipes, I hopped right on the low carb band wagon. Pizza crust, rice, tater tots, you name it someone made it. I started compiling all of the recipes that looked sample worthy into my own little Pinterest Board that you can follow HERE if you feel so inclined to join in on the fun.
So, I pulled out my food processor, which hadn’t seen the light of day for months, maybe even years… and started on my new cauliflower destiny. To be honest, pulling out the food processor and chopping the head of cauliflower was probably the hardest (most dreaded) part of these ‘riced’ based recipes.
Good news though, one head of cauliflower makes about 3 cups of ‘riced’ cauliflower. So I could trial a few recipes before having to touch the processor again.
There are so many cauliflower gone undercover recipes out there that I really have no idea where to send credit. This was more of a throw together, fingers crossed recipe that was created from the baseline ingredients that all of these cauliflower recipes seem to adapt from. Goes a little something like riced cauliflower, some sort of cheese, seasoning (based around the disguise that your creating) and a binder like egg or egg whites. So I am sure this was previously designed by someone amazing.
I hope you give this recipe a try. Its a very simple, tasty and low carb appetizer to add to your repertoire!
1 cup cauliflower, riced
1 cup fat free shredded cheddar cheese (I use Kraft)
2 to 3 tbsp buffalo wing sauce (I use Ken’s Buffalo Wing Sauce)
3 tbsp liquid egg whites
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1. To rice cauliflower cut florets off a head of cauliflower. Rinse. Place in a food processor and pulse until it turns into a rice like consistency. Place riced cauliflower in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 5 to 8 minutes.
Note: The steaming process requires no water. Remove from the microwave and drain all excess water. Whether in a strainer or dish towel. This is a very important step and can effect your final product. So press that water out!
2. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Using a spoon, scoop and hand roll 8 buffalo bites. Place them on the parchment and press with a fork to make them into a patty form.
4. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, flipping halfway through. The cauliflower bites should look browned on both sides. Cook time may vary.
5. Remove from oven and plate with your favorite blue cheese or ranch dressing & enjoy!
Makes 8 Buffalo Bites
Nutrition Facts: Servings 2.0, Amount Per Serving 4, calories 130, total fat 2g, total carbohydrate 7g, protein 21g
nutritional source: www.myfittnesspal.com, nutritional value based on ingredients and amounts listed above. May vary if you alter the recipe.